Pic

Pic
Seeing the country one pixel at a time.

Monday, March 14, 2016

Poetry- Music and the "Rhythm" of Life.

Working on my project has helped my grow in so many ways. It has finally allowed me to concentrate on my dreams and work towards a goal the I feel is important. I have met so many wonderful folks already, and I have not logged a single mile towards Canada yet! from store owners to Government officials, Musicians, to Poets Laureate, They have help me in ways I can not fully explain. Their kind words, offers of help and encouragement have been nothing short of amazing. Including appreciating Music, Poetry, Prose and their special place in our world




     There are very few things in our lives that can stir our souls like a good song. Music is truly one of the very few universal forms of communication. Even if the song you hear is in a foreign language, we seem able to understand and feel the intent of the singer. From a soulful heartfelt syllable drawn out over a series of notes or a short staccato sentence , we are able to feel their pain or joy of moment.  It touches us and transports us to a time and place, happy or sad that is burned into our memory. Or it allows us to optimistically look ahead to the future. We forget our troubles when we hear of loves lost or or smile to the sunny days ahead. We connect to the singer and share their pain, or revel in their joys. 

  Poems on the other hand seemed to have been always  reserved for the “few”. The unique individuals who see life in a different manner. Poetry and Prose are 2 different yet important forms of expression. They are the “music-less” form of song if you will. They invoke emotion and  stir the imagination in ways most songs can only wish they could. Yet I believe they are one and the same when done right. 

     Bear with me here, “All Poems are Songs, yet not all Songs are Poems”. I know this is sounding like a math problem, but stay with me here. Poems stand on their own merit, they do not need music to get their point across. Strip the music from a some songs, and read the words- like this. “I shot the Sheriff. But I did not shoot the deputy. “Sheriff John Brown always hated me. For what I do not know. Every time I planted a seed, He said Kill it Before it Grows. A song about a pot growing man, who had to kill a policeman? And we LOVE that song!!! Is it the beat? Is it the chords of the music? It can’t be the story. Seriously! How do we find meaning in Do WOP- DO DO DO WOP? In some songs it is is the musical beat and tones that move us at times. Think of a song that moves you, and brings back those memories. Odds are the song is a story, you can relate to. So unless you are a pot growing cop killer, you can not draw any real inspiration from that song. 

     How did I come to this, well while working on my project for Hwy. 83, I have met several incredibly talented folks, from songwriters to Poets Laureate. One songwriter has written 3 songs for my documentary, and I visiting with two Poets Laureate, I have realized just how important both of their skills and God given talents really are to our lives. As I have received the songs from the songwriter, He has also sent me the printed words. I sat back and read the words, and they stand alone. I see and feel the moment. I am attached to the event. The words create their own rhythm, or iambic pentameter. (I LOVE that phrase!) It is my life experiences and upcoming events that create the internal music. And when I play the song, it matches. This song is really a poem. And like great poems, a great set of lyrics will stand alone, on their own merit. 


Try it and see what I mean 

Bob Heart Texas Musician 
     Cruzin On Hwy. 83 – Bob Heart

1ST VERSE
My love once I am home again
I promise you I’ll never leave.
You’ve heard that old song once before
This time the words you can believe

2ND VERSE

I hear your voice in every breeze
I miss your gentle touch each night
Just one more river yet to cross
And I’ll be home by mornings light

CHORUS

From Texas North to the Dakotas
From prairie towns to city streets
Someday we’ll only have the mem’ries
Of cruzin’ hi-way 83                

3RD VERSE 

I’ve seen the torment in the skies
Raining so hard I’d blind your eyes
And grasses flowing like the sea
The way God meant it just to be

4TH VERSE

Around the next bend you will be
Waiting again to welcome me
As I have told you once before
I’m home to stay and leave no more
CHORUS

I know I’ll always have the mem’ries 
Of cruzin hi-way 83


© copyright Bob Heart/Bob Heart Music 2016


Author/ Songwriter - © Bob Heart 2016

This sure does seem better and more relaxing than shooting a sheriff to me anyway. 

Here is a poem from Karla Morton

Karla K. Morton Texas Poet Lauerate
Photographer and Author
Don't Be Nervous
when you see her.
Don't worry about
what you will say, or
how you will say it.
Just look at her,
and wonder
how your hand will fit
in the small of her back;
how many pins it takes
to hold up her hair. . .

Author Karla K Morton © Karla K. Morton 2010                  



     Both speak of love, but in a different manner, yet they move you in a different manner. The emotion is universal. If you are a man, you can see yourself in Bob’s words exploring and wandering promising to come home and settle down. If you are a woman, perhaps you see your mate working hard in life to get ahead and soon the efforts of his work will be rewarded in a way that you both will enjoy a long life together. 

     With Karla’s poem, it speaks of love to be. If you are a man perhaps you have felt that uncertainty of how to speak to that special woman or perhaps what you have forgotten about your current partner in life. If you are a woman, perhaps you remember the butterflies of that young man, and his awe in your beauty, and his fumbling with the words to express it to you. 

      Of course these are only conjectures and general ideas of what I think that Bob and Karla are saying to you. I know what they are saying to me. Their soulful words of promises to be kept and promise to be made both in love and life. The rhythm goes forth and the Iambic Pentameter of my life continues . (God I love that phrase!)


Read more about Bob, and hear more about his wonderful music here.
Bob Heart's Bio and more music.

To learn more about Karla Morton and her incredible poetry- Visit her website.
Karla Morton's Home page

No comments:

Post a Comment